Most DIY movers are budget conscious and may sometimes cut costs on things that don’t provide immediate use, like a coverage plan. However, that could backfire and result in thousands of dollars in expenses, especially when an unforeseen event occurs. Here’s how to protect what matters with U-Haul.
Protect What Matters: Moving Coverage
Even the most organized move can experience an unexpected accident. While you can’t predict accidents, you can plan against them and protect what matters with U-Haul. Safemove, Safemove Plus and Safetow offer peace of mind when transporting your belongings.
A benchmark for the entire industry, SafeMove®, comes with two levels of protection, standard SafeMove® and SafeMove Plus®. The one main difference is liability.
The Standard SafeMove® Plan has 4 main functions. It covers the U-Haul rental truck and everything inside it.
- Medical/Life Coverage — Covers the driver and passengers of the U-Haul for up to $1,000 of medical bills in the case of an accident. Provides driver and passenger with life coverage valued up to $25,000 and $15,000 respectively.
- Cargo Coverage — Covers your goods from collision, fire, windstorm and overturn of the rental truck. $25,000 worth of coverage on a One-Way rental, and $15,000 on an In-Town rental.
- Damage Waiver — Frees you of most “accidental damage” to the rental truck, including dents, paint chips and dings. The damage waiver does not cover overhead collisions (such as bridges or low hanging roofs.)
- Towed Property Coverage (SafeTow®) — Protects your personal car while being towed on a U-Haul towing device or personal property in a trailer.
SafeMove Plus® covers all of the above, while also providing Supplemental Liability Insurance. Standard SafeMove® does not cover property outside of that owned by the renter and U-Haul. SafeMove Plus® will cover damage to others and their property.
- $1,000,000 for property, bodily injury or lawsuits brought forward by 3rd parties not involved with the rental (eg. someone who has been hit)
- No increased premiums on your personal insurance plan
- No out of pocket fees
- Overhead Collision Damage
SafeMove Plus® covers everything SafeMove® offers with the addition of liability coverage. This is important if your personal insurance does not cover rental trucks.
Be sure to check with your insurance company to confirm coverage if you choose to opt-out.
- Damage Waiver – Covers damage to the U-Haul rental trailer or towing device.
- Towed Property Protection – Covers damage to your cargo or vehicle while being transported with a U-Haul rental trailer, auto transport or tow dolly.
- Medical/Life Protection – Provides you with medical and life protection, in case of an accident (subject to exclusions). Your passengers’ protection applies only while they are riding in the passenger area of the towing vehicle.
Supplemental Roadside Protection
The open road and all of its elements can make for a journey with unexpected surprises. A dead battery, lost keys, or stuck vehicle can turn a short trip into a long one. Don’t fret, Safetrip® Supplemental Roadside Protection has you covered. While all U-Haul rentals include roadside assistance. SafeTrip® Supplemental Roadside Protection is an additional coverage option available to you at a low cost.
Benefits include: Jump Start, Lockout Service, Lost Keys, Fuel Service, Vehicle Stuck in Mud/Snow and Trailer Hook-up Problems.
Protect What Matters: Storage Coverage
Mother Nature is unpredictable. Natural disasters are a real and present danger to your belongings. As such, it and other perils must be taken into account when storing. Safestor® protects your belongings from losses due to natural disasters, weather and burglary*.
*Burglary coverage only applies when there is evidence of forced entry and a police report has been filed. Safestor Mobile® storage insurance does not cover valuable items, including but not limited to: money, stamps, jewelry including watches, antiques, furs, motorized vehicles, bills, art, property deeds, credit cards or other securities. Additional exclusions may apply.
Keeping your items, yourself and our equipment safe is the most important thing on moving day. No matter what your move throws at you, U-Haul is here to help you protect what matters. Be sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for more tips and tools.